Monday, June 8, 2009

Goodbye to a Mellon Thumper


I was just watching the news and I saw a story about a website called "Thumping My Mellon". It was done by a man named Terry Harper. He had a form of cancer and posted a blog. He put the good and the bad in it. He recently died and his final blog post was dated June 2nd. I can relate to some of the sentiments that he expressed. For those who are extra sensitive, it's probably not a good idea to read the next paragraph. But, if you can handle it, I really can relate and reading his posting will probably give you a good insight to where my mind is usually at. Of course, being his final post, death comes into play. I'm not planning on dying anytime soon, but the notion of cancer and death is never far from my mind. I guess it's just the nature of the illness that it's impossible to ignore these things. Part of his final blog post is quoted below. Best wishes and big hugs to all,

Tim

A quote from Terry's final blog post:

"I never viewed this disease as a “gift” or that I was on some kind of “journey.” It just was. There was no way of knowing how this thing appeared in my brain so I tried not to waste any time or energy wondering what I should have or could have done differently. That would have been an exercise in futility. I think I recall one of my doctors telling me early on that there was no way to determine the cause of 98 percent of primary brain tumors. I was probably in the other two percent that didn’t forward one of those damn chain E-mails to my eight closest friends. I can’t deny there were times when I felt down about the whole situation. Hell, who wants to die in their mid-40s? Not me. All things considered, I would rather just be going about my life with Lee Ann at my side, watching Dale and Jace grow up and live their lives…and hopefully getting our tile roof replaced one day. I have no idea what lies beyond. I do know that if love transcends the boundaries of life and space and time, I have amassed more than enough to carry me safely to my next destination. And I hope that I have left enough behind to help light a path so that we may one day meet again. And especially to Lee Ann, Dale and Jace…wherever you go and whatever you do, be happy and know that my love will always be with you. Forever. I cannot imagine what my life would have been like without the three of you in it. It was a great ride."

2 comments:

Fred Rosenbloom said...

There are also so many success stories of people that are beating cancer, I choose to focus on them.
You said when we started this fight that you have always been an overachiever and you plan to beat this cancer. I have always been and always will be right by your side as we beat this cancer.

Love, Dad

ladybug said...

Tim,
Not one of us who love you so can really understand try as we all do. I do appericate your sharing Mellon Thumper with us, as it does give but a glimpse of what you might have running through your mind. We do agree with your Dad as far as, we do believe very much in positive, and miracles !! We have seen Gods hand in miracles and healing before our very own eyes !!!!
As I have said before if "Attitude, Personality, Love and Prayers" can be your healing way then you will be covered. You are an amazing person, father, husband, son, brother, nephew, cousin, uncle and human being. You are one of the strongest people we have ever known.
If just by the will of the love of your beautiful amazing wife and daughter, the constant love of your dedicated and loving father as well as the rest of those of us who love you, we all pray that God will hear our prayers for your cure. We will pray to not settle for less. May God Bless you everyday and always.
LOve, Aunt Sue and Uncle Frank